December 2013

Experimenter is a magazine created by EAA for people who build airplanes. We will report on amateur-built aircraft as well as ultralights and other light aircraft.

Issue link: http://experimenter.epubxp.com/i/234576

Contents of this Issue


Page 36 of 40

How and Where to Find a Ride The best places to search for a ride are the Sport Pilot Instructor Database established by the EAA and the FIRM (Flight Instruction, Rental, and Maintenance) List at www.ByDanJohnson.com. Qualified instructors are the only individuals who can charge for their time in an airplane, and they may charge for the aircraft only if it is a special light-sport aircraft (S-LSA) or an experimental aircraft flown under the LODA rules. An instructor is your best option, because as a trained professional, he knows how to safely provide a good flight experience. A hangar tenant you don't know two doors down who wants to impress his friends (or you) with his piloting skills—maybe not so much. You can take a ride in any two-place airplane flown by a properly rated pilot provided you pay no more than your share of the fuel, oil, and any landing fees. Finding a pilot to fly with can be as easy as hooking up with your nearest EAA chapter. Search the database for one near you. I suggest you check first for an ultralight chapter. There are about 30 of them in the United States, but any chapter president near you may know the owner of a Quicksilver, Kolb, Challenger, or other two-place light plane. A local chapter fly-in is another great place to connect with pilots of light aircraft. It's considered polite to offer to pay for some of the fuel, even though it is often refused. Most pilots love to take people for a ride and enjoy introducing others to flight. I always try to have some cash in my pocket (or offer to buy lunch) when I go for an unpaid ride. Even though light aircraft are less costly to operate than conventional general aviation, flying is never cheap and someone has to pay for it. EAA recently launched a new program called Eagle Flights that is intended to help adults get an airplane ride for free from local EAA chapter members. The aircraft used will be conventional general aviation airplanes along with homebuilt and light sport aircraft. Learn more at www.EAA.org/EagleFlights. Another way to find two-place light planes in your area is to use the FAA database of registered aircraft Jamie Gull of Girard, Kansas, few this fully restored 1984 Quicksilver MX II at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2013. Tese open-cockpit aircraf provide a unique fight experience. EAA Experimenter 37

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Experimenter - December 2013